Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Branding. Ouch!

OK, so we hear a lot about branding when we start a new business. After all, our business is only as good as branding our company into the heads of people that we want to pay attention to us and eventually buy from us because we have a product/service far superior to the competition. Well, while that is true- branding and my personality seem to clash in these two areas. I can't help but visualize the actual branding process for animals. While I won't be going out searing people with a branding iron to get them to buy my products- the concept is the same in that as a business owner, we want to "burn" in the minds of our potential customer/audience that we are a here with red flashing lights.


I have always danced to the beat of my own drum- largely in part because I can't dance and so I dance with my own shadow and so far I haven't stepped on my toes yet:) I love to take things that seem to fit into a box marked "boredom" tucked away into the corners of conformity and mediocrity. Hey, I may be a nerd, but I love to have fun and I love to see other people have fun. When it comes to this "branding" thing, I want to shake the box and see what rattles around (unless it is marked "handle with care") So, I asked myself. "How can I brand people and make it fun for all involved?" How can I become a permanent fixture in people's minds? You may laugh and it may seem unorthodox by branding standards. Ready? Iron-On patches! Yes, indeed! No one talks  about the old iron patch anymore these days, but they were so cool. Today I got online to see who could actually make an iron-on patch of my company logo and I found one that I liked and I'm just waiting for the proofs! I figure a start-up company can send me the coolest and fanciest packaging, but I tell you I have thrown more of that stuff away than I have ever kept. Think about it, when was the last time you raved over the packaging and just went bananas? Do you still have it? Did you call someone up and just fall back in your seat going on and on about the packaging? Did you shake it to see what was inside? Well, guys, I am a nerd trying to start my on business and I work full time, so I can't afford all the advertising, glitz and shimmer and believe me, it's no knock to anyone that can do all of that! When I can afford it, I may just start my own branding company, but for now I'd rather send you a well thought out 5x8 postcard that tells you briefly and concretely what I do, where I am, what I offer and the benefit to you annnnnd to boot an iron-on patch that is just too cute to throw away! Long after you have made a three point shot with my postcard, you will always have something to remember Nygel's Nerd Nation by and the best part- there is no shaking required! Our instructions are simple: Read. Peel. Iron-on. Visit. and join the coolest Nerd Nation coming your way! Now did that hurt?


~Nygel, The Nerd




















No comments:

Post a Comment